County Clerk

Notary Public Licenses

Becoming a Notary Public

New York State Law provides for the licensing and testing of notary publics. An application packet and information about test dates are available in the County Clerk’s Office or the local Department of State office (716-847-7110). Following successful completion of the notary public test, the applicant must mail the application to the New York State Licensing Commission (41 State St., Albany, NY 12231; phone-518-474-4429), along with a check for $60.00. Upon review of the application and the issuance of a notary license, the license is valid for a 4 year period.

Notary Renewal

At the end of the 4 year license term of a notary, the notary commission may be renewed through the County Clerk’s Office of your residence. The renewal requires your residential address (post office boxes are unacceptable) and full signature. The signature on the oath card must be notarized. The renewal application and oath card, along with a check for $60.00 payable to the Genesee County Clerk, must be presented at the Clerk’s Office in person or by mail prior to the expiration of the current commission.

Notary identification cards will be mailed by the Albany office of the Department of State in about 6-8 weeks from the date of renewal. The new term of office can be used as soon as payment is made. The notary does not have to wait until they receive there new identification card in the mail.

Renewals received six months or more from the last expiration date cannot be processed. The notary must be retested prior to getting a new commission.

Notary Changes

If you wish to also file your commission in another county you must purchase an official character from the Genesee County Clerk’s Office for $5.00. The filing fee in the other county is an additional $10.00.

If your address or other personal information changes, you must notify the State Licensing Commission in Albany. There is a $20.00 fee to amend your file. The Licensing commission can be reached at 518-474-4429. If you’re county of residence changes during a term, an oath of office will not be sent to the new county until the Notary renews his or her term with the new County Clerk.

If a name changes due to marriage, a notary must sign her name as commissioned, then in parentheses, sign her marriage surname. If a name was changed for another reason, the notary must sign the name as commissioned, and then draw a line through the name(s) that no longer apply and sign the new name in parentheses. A notary must continue using the seal/stamp as commissioned up to and including the expiration date.