County Clerk

Pistol Permits


The Pistol Permit clerk is located at the Genesee County Clerk's Office, 15 Main Street, Batavia, NY 14020.  Our office hours are Monday-Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm; however we ask that any transaction be commenced prior to 4:15 pm

"NYS Pistol Permit Recertification" 
Pistol permit recertifications are mandatory pursuant to the New York State SAFE Act, and are administered by the New York State Police, NOT the County Clerk. Go to the NYS Police website at to complete the recertification. THERE IS NO LONGER A MAIL-IN FORM. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RECERTIFICATION ONLINE EVERY 3 YEARS.

As a permit holder, it is your responsibility to recertify your permit WHETHER YOU RECEIVE A NOTIFICATION LETTER OR NOT.

To Apply for a Pistol Permit

You must be a Genesee County resident and at least 21 years of age (or Honorably Discharged from the Military, no such age restriction shall apply).  Pistol permit application packets are available in the County Clerk's Office at a cost of $5.00 per packet.  The pistol permit application process is a multi-step process, so please read all instructions in the packet carefully.

As of September 2022, applicants are required to have attended a 16-HOUR (PLUS 2 HOURS LIVE FIRE TRAINING) Handgun Safety Class given by an NRA certified instructor.   

The fingerprint process is explained and completed after the completed application is submitted to our office.

Pistol Permit Fees:

Application Packet $ 5.00
Submit Completed Application $ 20.00
Duplicate Permit $ 18.00 (Paper to Plastic)
$ 11.00 (Existing plastic card)
Amendments $ 3.00
Plastic Card Fee $ 3.00
Transfer Fee (into or out of County) $ 5.00 + $ 6.00
Pistol Permit Photo $ 7.00
Gun Dealer or Gunsmith License $ 10.00 each


When you come into our office to process a transaction, along with your pistol permit, we will require further identification, usually in the form of a driver’s license.  Please be advised, upon the sale of a handgun, you must come into our office within 30 days to complete the firearms license amendment removing the handgun from your permit.  NOTE:  All amendments must be completed in person by the permit holder. 


Opt Out Form (FOIL Exemption)
Change of Address Form
Private Bill of Sale
Estate Bill of Sale
Pistol Permit Co-Ownership Form
Transfer Out Affidavit

Registration of Handguns

Upon the purchase of a firearm, the licensee will bring the required proof of purchase to the Pistol Permit clerk in our office (please note: only the licensee can amend a pistol license -  a spouse, sibling, child, parent, etc. may not do this for you).  Required proof includes either a receipt from a licensed firearms dealer or a bill of sale from a private individual.  Please be certain to read the receipt over carefully making sure all information is correct and legible.  If we are unable to read the receipt we cannot process the amendment.

Buying a gun from an individual

When a gun is purchased from an individual, a dated Bill of Sale is required to add the pistol to the new owner’s permit.  The bill of sale must show both the buyer’s and seller’s names, addresses, permit numbers, and the counties that permits are in.  The gun must be described by make, model, caliber, action and serial number.  Once the handgun is registered with the pistol permit department in our office, it may be picked up by the buyer, and the seller has 30 days to come to the Pistol Permit Office to have the handgun removed from his/her permit.

Purchasing a gun from a dealer

When a gun is purchased from a dealer, the dealer receipt is required.  The receipt must show the buyer’s name, address, permit number, and the make, model, caliber, action and serial number of the gun.  The dealer’s name, address and New York State dealer number must also appear on the receipt.  Once the handgun is registered at our department, a purchase coupon will then be issued to the buyer, which allows him/her to pick up the handgun from the dealer.

Co-Ownership of a Handgun

As of January 27th, 2022, Genesee County's previous process of co-registration has been changed to co-ownership. All previous co-registrations will be grandfathered in as co-ownerships. This means that all licensees with a handgun on their pistol permit are primary owners of that handgun (with the exception of employer handguns).

There is a limit of 2 co-owners only per handgun. Any previous co-registrations with more than 2 people on them will be grandfathered in.

You can only co-own a handgun with another Genesee County permit holder. Genesee County DOES NOT allow cross-county co-ownership. This means NO co-owning with permit holders in other counties (ex. Erie County, Wyoming County, etc.)

Should a co-owned handgun be sold or transferred, the seller must promptly notify the co-owner of the sale so that the additional owner may remove the gun from their permit accordingly within 10 days. Failure to do so will result in possible permit suspension due to poor record keeping.

Removing Handguns from Permit

When a gun is sold to an individual, the seller needs to come into the Pistol Permit office and have it removed from his/her permit.  The buyer must provide the seller with a purchase coupon prior to delivery of the registered gun.  This coupon must then be provided to our department by the seller when removing the gun.

When a gun is sold to a dealer, the dealer receipt is required.  The receipt must show the seller’s name, address, permit number, and make, model, caliber, action and serial number of the gun.  On the receipt the dealer’s name, address, New York State dealer number and county that the dealership resides in must appear.

Death of a Permit Holder

New York State Law requires that upon a permit holder’s death, the decedent’s estate must, within 15 days, turn over the decedent’s firearm(s) to another pistol permit holder; a licensed dealer; or the local police department.

The estate is also requested to notify the Genesee County Pistol Permit clerk of the permit holder’s passing, please complete the Estate Bill of Sale, this will include information about the disposition of the firearm(s), along with a copy of the death certificate so that the license may be cancelled.

Change in Name, Address, County Or Moving Out-of-State

Name Change
A name change requires the permit holder to appear before the Pistol Permit clerk with proof of the new name in the form of a marriage certificate or Court Order.

Address Change
A change of address requires the permit holder to notify the Pistol Permit clerk within 10 days of the change.  You may either come into our office to complete the Amendment process or complete the Change of Address form and follow the instructions included on the form.  Please note that any address change must be changed on the permit holder's driver's license and a copy of the updated driver's license (front AND back) must be submitted with the form.

Transfer to Different County
To transfer your pistol permit to another county, you must appear at the Pistol Permit office, requesting that your file be transferred to the new county.  If you move to a different county you are not required by law to transfer your pistol permit but you are required to change your address.  If you do transfer you pistol permit to a different county you will need to submit the Transfer Out Affidavit,  The new county will contact you when they receive your file.

Move Out-Of-State
Firearms licensees who move out-of-state must voluntarily surrender their license to the Pistol Permit Office, at which time the license would be eligible for reinstatement upon return to Genesee County, subject to investigation and current FBI fingerprint check. The licensee must REMOVE ALL HANDGUNS FROM PERMIT before they can voluntarily surrender. If the licensee is keeping possession of their firearms in their new state, they MUST LEGALLY TRANSFER THEM FROM NEW YORK THROUGH AN FFL DEALER - PERMIT HOLDERS CANNOT TRANSFER HANDGUNS OUT OF STATE THEMSELVES.

If the permit holder moves out-of-state without notification, the pistol license will be deemed revoked and original application procedures would apply if individual wished to possess a New York State pistol permit.

Lost OR Stolen Permit

You may obtain a duplicate pistol permit when your original permit is lost, stolen or mutilated.  You will be given a Duplicate Information Form to be completed at our office.  This Form will need to include the make, model, caliber and serial number of each gun currently registered to you.  There is an additional fee of $5.00 for the Duplicate Permit.  YOU CANNOT CARRY A HANDGUN WITHOUT A PERMIT.

Certificate of Non-Destruction

From time to time, handguns are found in the county or brought into the county under circumstances that are not criminal in nature, such as finding a handgun among possessions of a deceased licensee or purchased/brought from another state.  The handgun(s) must be turned into the Genesee County Sheriff’s Department for safekeeping and while proper registration of the handgun is obtained.  A procedure has been established to provide individuals a means of registering the handgun(s) by completing an Application for a Certificate of Non-Destruction and remitting it to the County Clerk's Office or the Sheriff's Department.  Once a weapon check has been completed the County Court Judge will sign the Certificate and we will contact you to come in and complete the Registration process to your license or that of a licensed individual.

Please be Advised: If you do not comply with the above procedure and remain in possession of an unregistered handgun you may be subject to criminal charges