First Time Registration of Vehicle / SnowmobileTo register a vehicle for the first time you will need to complete a Registration/Title Application. Form MV82 (Vehicle Registration/Title Application).
You will need to bring proof of ownership, which is a title or a transferable registration in your name. A title or transferable registration that has been signed over to you is also acceptable. You will need proof of insurance in the registrant's name. You will need to complete an appropriate New York State Tax Form, obtainable at the Genesee County Motor Vehicle Office. The registrant is required to present a driver's license or 6 points of identification from form ID-82 (Proofs of Identity for Registration and Title). A driver's license or 6 points of identification must be presented for both the registrant and the owner. The seller must complete and sign a portion of the New York State tax form DTF802 (Statement of Transaction - Sale or Gift on a casual sale for a vehicle that has been manufactured within the past 7 years. Failure to do this will result in an audit with the New York State tax department.
To register a snowmobile for the first time you will need to complete a Registration Application. Form MV-82SN (Snowmobile Registration Application).
You will need to provide proof of ownership which is a Manufacturer Certificate of Ownership (MCO) or a transferable registration. The MCO or transferable registration will need to be signed over to you and you must provide a bill of sale also. You must also complete the New York State tax form DTF802 (Statement of Transaction - Sale or Gift and provide delivery and storage information on the form. If you are a member of a snowmobile club you must also give us the current club voucher and all the information must match for the registrant ( name and address).
Renewal of Registration
To renew your registration, just come into the office with your NYS photo document and we can do it paperless! Or, you can bring in the registration renewal reminder or complete form MV82 (Vehicle Registration/Title Application). If you have changed your name due to marriage/divorce, you will also need to bring in to the Motor Vehicle Office your original title and legal papers giving you the right to change your name. When renewals are processed in person or mailed to our Genesee County office, 12.7% of the monies collected is retained by the County. If you renew by mail through Utica, 100% of the monies goes to New York State and your processing time is approximately 4 weeks. Our office processes your renewal the same day we receive it. If you are processing by mail, please forward your registration renewal to:
Genesee County Clerk
PO Box 379
Batavia New York 14021
Use our Drop Box
Acceptable Proofs of Ownership: If a vehicle is being brought into New York State without a change in ownership:
Located on Court Street between Main St. & Ellicott St.
East of County Building #1
Make checks payable to:
Genesee County Clerk
Vehicles Titled Out-of-State
- An original out-of-state title or, if the vehicle was not required to be titled in the state where it was last registered, a transferable registration or certified copy of the registration from the out-of-state Motor Vehicles authority.
- If the title is held by an out-of-state lienholder:
- A copy of the title in the owner's name, certified by the lienholder or the out-of-state motor vehicle agency, or a Memorandum of Title **(non-negotiable) and
- The lienholder's statement identifying the owner and the vehicle's year, make and VIN. The statement must be on the lienholder's letterhead and must state that the lienholder holds the original title and is aware that the title copy will be used to register the vehicle in NYS. The letter must be unconditional (that is, the lienholder cannot ask that we notify him/her once the vehicle is registered, etc.
- If the title is held by an out-of-state leasing company:
- A certified copy of the out-of-state title (in the leasing company's name) and
- A letter from the owner stating that the owner is aware that the copy of the title will be used to register the vehicle in NYS.
**A New York State title will not be issued in this case.You will be given a non-transferable New York State Registration Receipt and sticker. We will not issue you a transferable registration (for 1972 and older model year vehicles) or a New York State Certificate of Title (for most 1973 and new vehicles) until the out-of-state title is submitted to New York State.
When you get the actual title from the lienholder forward it to the DMV Title Bureau so they can issue a New York State Title to you.
NYS DMV-Title Bureau
6 Empire State Plaza
Albany New York 12228