Office for the Aging

Financial Assistance

Financial Assistance

Approval for some of these programs are based on eligibility criteria. Contact the Genesee County Office for the Aging at (585) 343-1611 unless otherwise noted for eligibility criteria.

Benefits Check-Up Website
For a listing of financial benefits that you may be eligible for, visit By putting in your information without giving your social security number, name or any other identifying information, you can receive a list of potential benefits that you are likely eligible for.

Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)

The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) provides a financial benefit to help pay for home heating costs for low income individuals. For income guidelines, visit This program is not available for someone who resides in subsidized housing where heat is included. To request an application or assistance in completing an application, contact the Genesee County Office for the Aging at (585) 343-1611.

This is a discount on your telephone bill. Individuals may be eligible if they receive HEAP, Food Stamps, SSI or Medicaid benefits. Applications may be obtained by contacting your telephone company. Application forms and assistance in applying is also available through the Genesee County Office for the Aging.   The contact numbers for the local telephone companies are: Verizon (716) 890-7100; Frontier Telephone of Rochester (585) 777-1200; Frontier (for the 547 and 599 exchanges only) 1-800-921-8101.

Lifespan call ask marshall at (585) 815-7979
An in-home service to provide assistance with budgeting, bill paying and day to day financial matters such as:

  • Balance a checkbook
  • Plan a budget
  • Work with creditors
  • File insurance forms
  • Apply for benefits

Section 8 Housing Program
Genesee County has government subsidized housing which bases rent upon a person's income. For application assistance, contact the Genesee County Office for the Aging at (585) 343-1611.

Social Security
Social Security provides incomes for insured workers, and for certain spouses, divorced spouses, the disabled, children and surviving dependent parents. Contact the Social Security Administration office at 1-866-931-7103 or 1-800-772-1213 or

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
Food stamps are electronic coupons that can be used as cash for buying food in stores and can be used in restaurants. Applications are available at the Genesee County Office for the Aging or through the Genesee County Department of Social Services. Contact the Genesee County Department of Social Services at (585) 344-2580 for income guidelines.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
SSI provides basic income (or additional income) to combine with Social Security, pension or earnings. Individuals age 65 or older, or any age if disabled or blind, may be entitled to this benefit. Applications and income guidelines can be obtained by calling the Social Security Administration office at 1-866-931-7103 or 1-800-772-1213. You can also go to the local office in the Eastown Plaza in Batavia, New York.

Veteran Benefits
These benefits that are available for veterans or spouses of veterans may include pensions, medical care and prescription drugs, vocational rehabilitation, education, home loans, compensation, burial and other benefits. Contact the local Veterans Service Agency at (585) 815-7905. They are located at 3837 West Main St., Batavia, New York 14020

Weatherization Program
The Weatherization Referral and Packaging (WRAP) Program provides home repairs to weatherize a home for energy efficiency as well as education on energy conservation. These repairs may include window replacement, insulation, caulking, weather stripping, broken glass repair and furnace repair or replacement. In order to be eligible for this program, an individual must be eligible for HEAP benefits and the needs must be certified by an energy audit. Homeowners and renters with approval from their landlord may apply. Please contact Community Action of Orleans and Genesee, Inc. at (585) 343-7798.

Other home improvement loans and grants may be available to seniors to help replace roofs, siding and make handicap accessibility modifications to their homes. For information about income guidelines, contact the Genesee County Office for the Aging at (585) 343-1611.  Visit the ask marshall page for Handyman Program details.