For offender information, call toll-free:
For more information regarding the New York State Victim's Hotline, visit VINE website.
Statewide victim assistance and notification 24 hours a day.
New York Sheriffs' VICTIM HOTLINE Facts:
- The offender will not know you are registered with the New York Sheriffs' VICTIM HOTLINE.
- If you are not home, the New York Sheriffs' VICTIM HOTLINE will leave a message on an answering machine. If there is no answer, the hotline will keep calling back until you enter your PIN code or until 48 hours have passed.
- Since the New York Sheriffs' VICTIM HOTLINE calls automatically when an offender's custody status changes you may get a notification call in the middle of the night.
- Do not leave a phone number with the New York Sheriffs' VICTIM HOTLINE that rings to a switchboard unless the switchboard operator has your PIN code to confirm the message.
- The New York Sheriffs' VICTIM HOTLINE monitors offenders in New York's County Jails, the New York City Department of Correction and the New York State Department of Correctional Services.
- Do not depend solely on the New York Sheriffs' VICTIM HOTLINE, or any other single program, for your protection. Make the New York Sheriffs' VICTIM HOTLINE part of your safety plan.
- You can leave more than one phone number with the New York Sheriffs' VICTIM HOTLINE. Just call the VICTIM HOTLINE again.
What will the New York Sheriffs' VICTIM HOTLINE do for me?
The New York Sheriffs' VICTIM HOTLINE will tell you if an offender is in jail or prison in the State of New York and will give you other important custody information. The VICTIM HOTLINE will also let you leave a phone number where you want to be notified when the offender is released, transferred, or escapes.
What do I need to do?
- Call 1-888-846-3469 from a touch-tone phone and follow the directions. The VICTIM HOTLINE will tell you the custody status of the offender.
- If the offender is in custody, you can leave a phone number where you want to be notified when there is a change in the offender's custody status. Enter the area code and phone number, followed by the pound (#) key.
- When the VICTIM HOTLINE asks, make up and enter a four-digit Person Identification Number (PIN) code that will be easy for you to remember. The New York Sheriffs' VICTIM HOTLINE will ask for the PIN code when it calls you.
- When the New York Sheriffs' VICTIM HOTLINE calls, listen to the message, then enter your PIN when asked. Entering the PIN lets the VICTIM HOTLINE know that you got the call.
Message from the Sheriff
Many victims live in fear that the criminal offender who victimized them may someday return to do so again. For these victims and their families and friends, it is important to know if that offender is incarcerated ina correctional facility - and to know if and when that offender is released from custody.
It has often been difficult for a victim to obtain timely and accurate information about an offender's custody status - information is so important to the victim's peace of mind. That is why, as your Sheriff, I am pleased to join with my fellow Sheriffs across the State of New York to implement the Sheriffs' VICTIM HOTLINE. Now with just one toll-free phone call, a citizen can immediately learn the custody status of any offender housed in any of New York's county jails or other county correctional facilities.
In addition to providing custody status information to callers, the Sheriffs' VICTIM HOTLINE also has an automatic notification feature. Any victim may register with the Sheriffs' VICTIM HOTLINE to be automatically notified if an offender's custody status should change. This feature eliminates the need for a victim to constantly call the Sheriffs' VICTIM HOTLINE to verify the offender's status.
Please review this information carefully to understand how the Sheriffs' VICTIM HOTLINE works.
Victim Assistance Services in New York
New York State Crime Victims Board
New York Sheriffs' VICTIM HOTLINE
Mothers Against Drunk Driving
New York State Domestic Violence Hotline
New York State Elder Abuse Hotline
New York State Parole Victim Impact Unit
Sex Offender Registry
Rape Crises Services
Do not depend solely on the Sheriffs' VICTIM HOTLINE service for your protection. If you feel that you may be at risk, take precautions as if the offender has already been released.
- Offender name/date of birth
- Offender booking number
- Offender NYSID number
- Your four-digit PIN code