Protective services for adults (PSA) are provided without regard to income to assist people age 18 or older who have physical or mental impairments to the extent that they cannot meet their basic needs for food, clothing, shelter or medical care; are unable to protect themselves from neglect, abuse or hazardous situations; and have no one willing or able to help them in a responsible manner. Referrals may be made by calling 585-344-2580 ext. 6484.
For more information, click here: NYS OCFS Protective Services for Adults
Personal Care Services Aide Program
Personal care services shall mean some or total assistance with personal hygiene, dressing, and feeding; nutritional and environmental support functions and health related tasks. Such services shall be essential to the maintenance of the patient's health and safety within his/her own home, ordered by the attending physician, based on an assessment of the patient's needs, provided by a qualified person in accordance with a plan of care and supervised by a registered professional nurse.
- On Medicaid - if there is a spend down, it must be paid each month
- We must obtain doctors orders for such aide service
- The person's medical condition must be considered stable
- The amount of aide hours is task driven - the aide must be DOING something - not for supervision purposes
- The person must be SAFE in their home first - we cannot service unsafe situations
- The person must be self-directing, which shall mean that he/she is capable of making choices about his/her activities of daily living, understanding the impact of the choice and assuming responsibility for the results of the choice. If the person is not self-directing, the person can designate a representative to fulfill these responsibilities.
- An initial (and annual thereafter) assessment of the patient and home is conducted by both the DSS caseworker and a nurse from a Licensed Agency. In Genesee County we contract with the Genesee County Health Department.
Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program: New York State recognizes that some people who need personal assistance also have a strong desire to manage their own services. The Consumer Directed Personal Assistance is such a program in which you screen, interview, hire, train and supervise your attendants.
- You must be currently receiving, or be approved for personal care services by DSS
- Active Medicaid
- Be medically stable
- Self-directing or have a designated Representative
Participation Guidelines for Attendants:
- Must be at least 18 years of age and have a Social Security Number
- Must be interviewed and hired by the participant
- Must provide all the necessary information for personnel file, payroll and insurance coverage
- Must have an annual physician assessment completed by a physician
- Must be able to perform the functions required by the participant
- Cannot be the participant's spouse
- Cannot be the participant's parent unless the participant is over 21 years of age
Referrals for personal care aid services can be made by calling 585-344-2580 ext. 6484.