Voter Information

Voting Times

Primary Election:     Polls are open from 6 AM - 9 PM 

General Election:     Polls are open from 6 AM - 9 PM

Voter Registration

To Register To Vote You Must:

  • Be a U.S. Citizen;
  • Be 18 years old by the end of this year;
  • not be in prison for a felony conviction 
  • Not claim the right to vote elsewhere;
  • not found to be incompetent by a court;
  • will have lived in the county, city or village for at least 30 days before the election.

You can obtain a mail registration form by calling 1-800-FOR-VOTE or your County Board of Election. Forms are also available at most government agencies and post offices. Complete the form and mail it to your County Board of Elections. You may also register in person at your County Board of Elections.

Reasons to Complete a New Voter Registration Form

  • Change the name or address on your voter registration
  • become a member of a political party
  • change your party membership
  • Register to vote in New York State Elections

You will be asked to provide either your 9 digit DMV number (driver's license or non-driver number), or the last four digits of your social security number. 
If you do not have a DMV or social security number, you may use a valid photo ID, a current utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, government check or some other government document that shows your name and address.
*If you are unable to verify your identity before Election Day, you will be asked for ID when you vote for the first time.

Voting in Primary Elections

You must be enrolled in one of the 8 recognized parties (i.e., Democratic, Republican, Conservative, Working Families, Green, Libertarian, Independence, SAM) and there must be a primary in the party in which you are enrolled.

Indicating your Political Party Choice

Complete a voter registration form and indicate your political party choice.  Political party enrollment is optional but that, in order to vote in a primary election of a political party, a voter must enroll in that political party.
*Note: Change of Enrollments are effective immediately; except for those filed between February 15th - June 30th; Change of Enrollments filed between February 15th - June 30th, will take effect on June 30th.

Where do I vote?

Each year, you should receive a postcard from the Board of Elections verifying your current address. This card also indicates the location of your polling place and whether or not this place is accessible to the handicapped. If you have any questions about the information provided, call your County Board of Elections.

How can I obtain an absentee ballot?

If you will be absent from your county on election day because of your occupation, business, vacation or studies, you can request an absentee ballot application and vote by absentee ballot in any primary, special or general election. The application may be obtained from any Board of Elections. If you are calling or applying by mail, you must do so at least seven days before the election. If you are applying in person, you may do so up to and including the day before the election. You may also vote by absentee ballot if you are ill or have a physical disability. Persons who are permanently ill or disabled may receive absentee ballots for all future elections by filing only one application indicating your illness or disability. You will then be sent an absentee ballot for every primary, special or general election for which you qualify as a voter.