The Town of Alabama is located on the north-western border of Genesee County and is centrally located between Buffalo and Rochester. The Town is comprised of approximately 28,480 acres. Various wildlife preserves occupy much of the Town’s land. In addition, the Seneca Nation occupies approximately 5,700 acres within the Town’s borders.
Town of Alabama
Lying between Batavia and Attica, at the intersection of the scenic, southwestern Routes 98 & 20, you will find the small farming community of Alexander. The town was named after its first settler, Alexander Rea, who was an early surveyor of the Holland Company, and purchased the first lot in 1802. The Village of Alexander was incorporated in April 24, 1834 by an act of NYS Legislature.
Town of Alexander | Village of Alexander
In 1802, Genesee County and the Town of Batavia were the same, encompassing much of Western New York. There has been a concentration of development since 1802 on the east end of Batavia, this part became a Village in 1821 and in 1914 became a City. The City serves as the County seat with a corporate boundary of 5.2 square miles, serving a population of 15,399 residents. The areas surrounding the City of Batavia encompass the Town of Batavia and has a population of 6,809.
Town of Batavia | City of Batavia
Originally settled in 1801 as a farming community, the Town was established in 1813, and the Village in 1877. Bergen is located between Rochester and Batavia, with access from Exit 2 of Interstate 490, and from Routes 19, 33 and 262. The Bergen Swamp has attracted naturalists and students to study rare and endangered species of flora and fauna in a 125,000 year old habitat.
Town of Bergen | Village of Bergen
Bethany is located in the south east area of Genesee County, between Pavilion and Alexander. The town was formed from Batavia in 1812 and is home to the oldest county forest in the country. The Genesee County Park Forest & Interpretive Center features over 430 acres of forest, walking trails, parks, and pavilions and even sledding hills.
Town of Bethany
The Town of Byron, named for Lord Byron, was incorporated in 1820. The Town is made up of the hamlets of North Byron, also known as “Pumpkin Hill”, South Byron, originally called Brusselville; and the hamlet of Byron. Established at the intersections of Routes 237 and 262, the town’s three parks offer fishing, playgrounds, and picnic areas.
Town of Byron
Corfu is a village in the town of Pembroke. Also known as Long’s Corner, the area was settled in 1807 by David Long and his son, John. The incorporation of the village in 1868 coincided with the arrival of the railroad. Corfu is well known for it's quant Main St and it's proximity to Darien Lake Amusement Park.
Village of Corfu
Darien was founded in 1832 and over time has become a beautiful, laid back and well spaced community. Darien is conveniently located just minutes from the Pembroke entrance to the NYS Thruway and is just about the half way point between Buffalo and Rochester. Attractions include the Darien Lake State Park and Darien Lake Theme Park.
Town of Darien
Rich in history and agriculture, Elba is home to two of the nation’s top 100 farms as well as one of America’s most highly praised community-supported agriculture organic farms. In addition, several family dairy farms are located within the town. 2500 acres of rich muckland soil yields a bounty of crops, most notably onions, earning Elba the title of “Onion Capital of the World.”
Town of Elba | Village of Elba
LeRoy’s first settlers arrived in 1797 and the small town was chartered in 1812 as Bellona. Within a year, the town was renamed LeRoy, after a wealthy merchant and banker, Herman LeRoy of New York City. In 1834, the Village of LeRoy was chartered by New York State, and the LeRoy community continues today to be governed by both a town government and a village government. LeRoy is most famous for being the place where "America's Most Famous Dessert" was created, Jell-O.
Town of LeRoy | Village of LeRoy
Oakfield, the name of the town is derived from a number of trees, including the oak found here. The town is on the northern border of Genesee County. The area was once known as "Plain Brook", after it was first settled around 1801. The town was formed in 1842 from the town of Elba. In 1858, the community of Caryville set itself off from the town by incorporating as the village of Oakfield.
Town of Oakfield | Village of Oakfield
The Town of Pavilion was formed from Covington, Wyoming County, May 19, 1841. A portion from Le Roy and Stafford was annexed March 22, 1842. Pavilion is the most southeastern town of Genesee County. The picturesque place rests beside the Oatka Creek, and is nestled between two of the highest hills within Genesee County. The center of town is located at the intersection of Routes 19 and 63.
Town of Pavilion
Pembroke or O-a-geh (On the Road) as the Indians referred to it, is located in Township 12, Ranges 3 & 4 of the Holland Purchase, and was named for Pembroke in Wales. It was set off from the Town of Batavia, June 8, 1812 and originally contained the whole of Darien and a small part of Alabama. The northern section was part of the Tonawanda Indian Reservation.
Town of Pembroke
Settlers first came in 1798, making it one of the first municipalities in the Holland Purchase. Stafford was founded in 1820 by combining parts of Batavia and Le Roy. In 1842, a portion of Stafford was transferred to create the town of Pavilion. The Stafford Village Four Corners Historic District, located in the hamlet of Stafford, was added on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.
Town of Stafford